expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Half way through Egypt

Half way through Egypt.

If you knew me as a child you will know I was kinda a nerd for Ancient Egypt. I even wanted to name my little girl Egypt when I grew up...just in case you are wondering, no Papa Bear didn't go for it.
So of course I was super excited when I learned that this year in our Latter Day Learning history curriculum Egypt would be one of the first things we studied. We are half way through our Egypt unit now so I thought I would give a little update for the sake of the grandparents.

Here are a few of the projects we have completed:

Mummies!!!!





We had some friends come over and make these with us (hence why there are 4 of them). It was pretty fun. In stead of the normal glue to make the modge podge to wrap the mummies in we mixed flour and water. It was still just as messy but didn't have to worry about little Ninja bear eating glue....after all he is a ninja! Once they were dried the kids painted them and added some glitter. 

We then proceeded to have a long talk: Yes Mummies are real...No they don't come back to life...
it was a hard concept for the kids to get, especially after watching The Mummy and The Mummy 2. According to Monkey, his head was about to explode after watching those two movies because it was so full of stuff about Egypt...go figure!

Scarabs!!!



Yesterday Princess and I made some clay scarab name seals. We had just finished a lesson on Hieroglyphs. Sadly Monkey was sick for this one (the flu made its way through the fam) so he made his today and its still drying. Apparently my art skills are not that good because Monkey thought I carved a picture of a Pirate and not a scarab....WHATEVER!
IF YOU WANT TO MAKE ONE: we used self hardening clay, rolled it in a ball and carved her name on one side (backwards mind you) then squished it flat. Then we carved the bug on the other side but you can decorate it however you want. Then once dry just lightly coat the back side in paint and stamp.

Papyrus

Today, to go along with our study of Egyptian writing, we attempted to make papyrus. It, sadly, was a failed attempt. I wanted to use corn husks because I thought that would be more realistic. The husk is to thick though and doesn't ever mash together just breaks into a million pieces when you try to pound it together. Next time we will just use strips of real paper. 


But with all the strips of corn husk pre-soaked we couldn't let it go to waste so we made some corn husk dolls. 



Books we have been reading:

books that are apart of our Latter day learning lessons:
Pyramid (I got it free as an Ebook)




These are books we are reading on our own:
A Cry from Egypt (we are reading this as a family)

Mummies in the Morning (Aj has been reading this)

Ancient Egypt tales of Gods and Pharaohs (reading together, highly recommend for younger kids!)


 


No comments:

Post a Comment